1

Planning a Trip to Disney World!

As Christmas of 2012 approached I begin thinking about Lily's birthday. What do you get the girl who has everything and how do I top the princess tea party I held for her last year? All of these thoughts led me to one conclusion, a trip to Disney World.  As I began researching I quickly learned I was way behind the eight ball in the planning and execution of this trip.  I used every resource available to me including the web, books, television, and friends for advice.

Here's a few helpful resources I relied on:
EasyWDW.com
disboards.com
craftingintherain.blogspot.com
kennythepirate.com
touringplans.com

I was amazed to find these sites where it seems like authors make it their full time job to give you the lowdown on all things Disney.

I began looking at trip dates with a goal of being at a Disney park on Lily's Birthday, Tuesday, February 12.  From there I researched airfare. Fortunately we were able to purchase tickets using American Airlines Advantage Miles. When looking at travel dates we extended our trip to save half the miles needed for a ticket. Once our airfare was booked we begin looking into lodging options.

Anyone who has gone to Disney World will tell you, "Stay on Property." I researched every hotel located on Disney Property. Not only did I look at the official Disney site https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ but I also looked at travel reviews on tripadvisor and travelocity.  After much debate and dilemma we decided to stay "off property" meaning we did not stay at an official Disney hotel. Several factors played into this decision.
1.  Room Size
I wanted a larger room or a suite to be exact. The cost of a suite on Disney property was outrageous and out of our budget.

2. Cost
Disney hotels cost more because they provide free transportation. Staying on property allows you to take complementary transportation to all of the theme parks and resorts. Most people who take a trip to Disney World do not get a rental car for this reason.

We chose to stay at a brand new Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista South located in Kissimmee, Fl.  Although the hotel was a little off the beaten path, it was only 3.5 miles from the main entrance to Disney. It also had a lot of restaurants, an outlet mall and both Wal-Mart and Target directly across the street.  A few additional perks with this hotel included a full free breakfast including made to order omelets, a complementary happy hour with snacks, and a suite with sleeping arrangements for 6 people. The hotel was very clean and the staff very nice and accommodating. Again, this is a little off the beaten path but it worked out well for us.  We also saved $20 a day on our hotel room by joining AAA. I foresee the benefits helping us out multiple times in the future and I've also saved money on hotel costs for another trip I'm planning.

These conveniences paid off later in saving money for meals.

Because we chose to stay off property, we needed a car rental. Thankfully I have a cousin who works for Enterprise and she allowed me to use her employee discount. Once at the airport we paid extra and upgraded to a Lincoln Town and Country Mini Van which was highly convenient for our family.  We are not normally mini van people but the automatic doors and the huge trunk was great for storing the double stroller we rented.

Speaking of Strollers, I researched this a lot too. I went with the following company: DiscountStrollerRentals.com Although we did not end up with the stroller I requested and paid for. The company did make it right by taking 50% off our total cost which meant we got a high end double stroller for about $40 for 6 days. This is a deal!

If you plan to eat at some of the nicer Disney Restaurants, Advanced Dining Reservations are required. This is done online at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/. You can make reservations up to 180 days in advance so as soon as you plan your dates, book your reservations. I made multiple attempts to schedule lunch at Cinderella's Round Table with no luck. One day I attempted again, this time changing my reservation to a party of 2 rather than 4 and I lucked out. I was able to secure a lunch date with my special birthday girl.  Dining at Cinderella's Round Table is expensive but in my opinion, if you or yours is into Princesses it is worth every penny. Your lunch includes a photo session with Cinderella including printed photos as well as personalized meet and greet with 5 different princesses. As a gift to Lily I purchased her a new Cinderella princess gown and glass slippers at our Disney Outlet Store. I was able to hide this in our baggage along with a gift bag and surprise her on the morning of our visit to Magic Kingdom.  This is much more budget friendly than spending $70 + on a gown at Disney World.  Make sure that you bring a camera for the many photo ops and an autograph book and pen to save the memories.

Planning out park days: Disney World consists of 4 different Theme Parks (also some water parks which we were not doing.) Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios.  I lucked out by striking up a conversation with one of the doctors at the hospital I work at. He was in the planning stages of a Disney World trip two weeks before mine. He shared a wealth of knowledge (having gone there before) and a ton of resources. I planned out our itinerary by using the EasyWDW.com site. This site includes a calendar which shows the crowd level, weather, special events, and rates which park is the best for each day based on crowds. Using this as well as a touring plan site that Dr. Ward shared with me I was able to strategize and get the most out of our day.

Here are a few tips I think will help anyone:
1. Arrive at the parks early.
During our trip all of the parks opened at 9:00AM. At the park opening each day (known as rope drop) they put on a little show. If you get to the park at opening you can accomplish more in the first few hours than you can in an entire day.  The touring plan site I used allows you to plan out your day based on your situation (small children) this filters out rides with height requirements.  You would be amazed at how many people arrive with no plan or research done and then stand in Main Street with a map trying to figure out where to go.

2. Plan what you want to see and do.
If you know what you want to accomplish and where these attractions are located you can save tons of time and cut out waiting in lines. Most of the rides feature Fast Passes. Aaron and I worked as a team, he rounded up fast passes for all of our desired attractions while the kids and I waded through the crowd heading for our most desired attraction of the day. For us, this was Enchanted Tales with Belle which is Magic Kingdom's newest attraction and equals the longest wait time. We were in line for about 15 minutes because we headed there first versus the 70-90 minutes which is the normal wait time. With the use of Fast Passes you can literally walk in on every ride you want which is a must with small, impatient children (or husbands) :-)

3. Watch the parades and fireworks shows.
People begin staking out spots for parade and fireworks shows an hour before the event. If you can plan it right, stake out a good spot and take a break and have a snack. Our children loved the parade but they love it even more when they can actually see what is going on.

4. Character Meet and Greets.
Shortest lines in the morning and evening. Almost no lines during events like parades and fireworks shows. We found short to no lines for character greets at Animal Kingdom.

5. Bring a Filtered Water Bottle.
A friend who recently went to Disney World offered this recommendation and it's the best one!  We purchased Brita Filtered Water Bottles at Target and took them with us. They really do work and are very handy. We washed them each night in the hotel room (we also brought travel size dish washing soap) and filled them as needed. My husband like filling them from the water fountains versus the bathroom sinks because he felt the water was colder.

6. Pack Snacks and a Lunch.
We packed tons of snacks and a bag lunch each day.  We found the Target across the street from the hotel to be a lifesaver. We bought a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, zip lock baggies, and snack foods including cheese-its, mixed nuts, fruit snacks, beef jerky, apple squeezes, and grapes. This saved us tons of money and gave us healthier options than the counter restaurants that offer fried foods.

7. AAA Diamond Parking Pass.
A friend suggested we go online and purchase a AAA Diamond Parking Pass. We did this (I believe on EBay.) For $14 you receive a pass which gives you preferred parking. You still have to pay the parking fee $15 each day but this gives you parking right next to handicap. We did not have to take trams to get to the main gates as our parking was close enough to walk. If you drive to Disney World, you will definitely have the upper hand with the AAA Diamond Parking Pass.

8. Dress for the weather.
My research said the high in Florida averaged in the 70's. During our trip it reached 85 degrees. With this being said, I would recommend shorts with layered tops such as t-shirts with a hoodie or fleece. It is cool in the morning and evening but during the day it gets hot. Make sure to pack sunscreen and lip balm so your little ones don't get sunburned.

I hope this helps with your trip planning. Message me if you have further questions.











1 Comments


Thanks for the mention! KennythePirate

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates